Saturday, October 3, 2009

IT ALL STARTED WITH THE CRAB

Im sitting out on our porch the other night and something moving caught my eye. On further inspection it was one of the many rather large crabs that wander through the section (forgot to mention them in the animal blog). I watched it until it disappeared into the shadows.

A while later after going inside we suddenly hear this scuffling, banging, crashing, scrapping noise on the corrugated iron outside the window. We thought, here we go someone trying to look in the window. But nooooooooo.

The noise carried on and on until we finally thought we had better investigate what was making such a racket. Dave exclaims when I arrive that a cat had just caught the crab that was wandering around. We tried to see it but could not for lack of light. Dave goes and sits back down again, not having to attack anyone with the machete tonight. I however was still curious.

I went inside and got our little torch and went exploring as now I could hear this crunching noise. I thought to myself, surely cats don’t eat crab here!

I snuck around the corner all stealth like so as not to frighten the cat away. I found a good spot and shone the torch back and forth in the general direction of the noise, fully expecting to catch a greedy cat in the act with crab all over its face. But Nooooooooooo.

I shone the torch and there it was, caught in the light, not a greedy cat at all, but a large Opossum that visits each night! He has to be the ugliest, mangy looking thing Ive seen in a long time. He looks up at me with this, “oh a moon” look on his face then shys away like he didn’t want his photo taken. In his little paws was a very crushed very munched very dead crab. Now that I was not expecting!

I watched him for a while and called Dave to come see the “cat”. We just cracked up laughing as we had just been saying to each other that we wonder what land crabs eat! We still don’t know but we sure know what the Opossums eat!

I tell you from our porch there is all sorts of strange wild life entertainment, something we will really miss!

No comments:

Post a Comment