Saturday, October 3, 2009

AND THE RAIN CAME DOWN!

So I was out in the village of Pamona Newsite the other day after an 11 hour day of bible studies (no I’m not kidding or exagerating).

Im standing at the little bus shelter waiting patiently for the bus to come along. I had about 20 mins to wait. As I was looking around I noticed that there were some rather larger extremely black clouds building on the horizon. I think to myself, man I hope that bus gets her soon, cos Im gonna get wet if that keeps coming!

Im waiting and waiting and still no bus but the clouds are now massive and the sky has turned black around me. Next thing I hear is the pitter patter of rain drops creeping closer and closer. The they are upon me. At fist not too heavy but wet, yes. Within just a moment the rain is pelting down and coming in sideways under the shelter. It is now so heavy that I have to move to the very far corner of the shelter that has no sides to try and get some kind of protection from the rain. Still no bus.

The rain now is no longer falling in droplets, its falling by the bucket and slicing right under the shelter and right across my back. Im not getting too wet just yet but if I have to stand there much longer I will be quite wet.

While standing there, hearing the rain get heavier and heavier Im wondering how Im going to get from the shelter out to the roadside to alert the bus to stop and pick me up without getting absolutely soaked. It appears that there is no chance of that! With that the bus rounds the corner in the distance and I have to make a mad dash for the road. I had not stepped even a whole pace before I was a drowned rat.

The rule in Belize is that if you are getting on the bus, you have to wait for the people to get off before you can get on. Makes sense right, WELL NOT WHEN YOU’RE THE ONE STANDING THE TROPICAL DOWNPOUR!!!!

Anyway….. I get beckoned onto the bus and don’t have to wait for others to get off, how kind of them. But even in the short space from the bus shelter to the bus, I managed to get every little possible speck of dry on me, absolutely drenched to death. Am talking you have never so wet in your life wet. When I took my seat I was glad the I had the seat to myself as I was so wet there were little rivers running off me in all directions. I ran my hands over my hair at least 10 times and every time great streams of water would run down my back and onto the seat. I ended up sitting in a puddle or water that felt as though it was at least a foot deep, well okay that’s an exaggeration maybe it was only a cm deep! A foot sounds better though.

I have to say that I was laughing my head off and thinking to myself how different it was here to home. Not that you can make comparisons, but I couldn’t help but think that at home I would have just sat in the car and waited for the rain to stop before getting out. Or how I would have just driven the car around instead of having to catch the bus in the rain. I really did laugh and believe me so was everyone on the bus! At least I wasn’t the only wet rag on the bus.

The funniest thing, well now its funny, was that in town there had been no rain at all, so Dave was perfectly dry looking at me like I was a freak walking to the door dripping from had to toe, oh and so were the locals!!!!

So yeah, that was my day last Wednesday, how was yours?

No comments:

Post a Comment