Friday, August 21, 2009

A Snakes Tale

We were at one of my studies on Wednesday. Her house is up on a steep hill and we sit outside under a huge tree over looking the valley. It is just magnificent from up there, you can see for miles. Anyway, during the study out the corner of my eye I see something move. I look a little closer to see a Coral Snake (only one of the most poisonous snakes here? go slithering off into the long grass. This no longer bothers me as its a fairly common occurrence at this study. Man I have seen some weird animals up there!

Also during the study some of the little kids were playing in the sand behind us, only a few feet from where we were sitting. Suddenly one of the kids comes over holding this little egg. She shows it to us. The sister I was with thought that it was an iguana egg but Anna the student says rather tensely, "No its a snake egg"! Neato!!!! Then next thing the kids start hauling all these eggs out of the ground. About 10-15 in total. Some of them even have these tiny little snakes hatching out of them!

The kids find great delight in killing them all and smashing the eggs. This of course is very wise as they are tiny little versions of the Coral Snake I had just seen. We tell the kids to stop digging and leave as the mother snake might still be there under the surface of the sand. If she saw what the kids were doing to her eggs she would attack and defend her nest. (When was the last time you had this problem at one of our bible studies?) The kids just ignored us and carried on anyway. I guess in their world this is quite normal and the do this all the time.

The stink thing was that right at the start of the study I had taken my camera out to take a photo of the beautiful view and for some reason it would not work. It turned on but I couldnt get it to take a photo or turn it off, nothing. I was really worried, thinking, great now we have to camera for the rest o our visit! So when all this drama erupted I had no camera to photograph it!!!!!!!!!!!! I was so annoyed.

How often do you have a snake nest next to you, not every day!

No comments:

Post a Comment